Approximately 80% of having a healthy body is determined by the food choices we make. The other 20% is being active. One of the worse things we do these days is prolonged sitting. Whether it is sitting in the car, at work, watching TV, on the computer, eating dinner or on the phone.
This leads to:
Poor cardiovascular health
Tightness of muscles, joints and the spine
If sitting for long periods of time it is highly recommended that you get up every 20 minutes and stretch or go for a walk. This will improve your productivity, concentration, circulation and help prevent future health problems. Many people make the mistake or believe that by going to the gym frequently is an excuse to eat poorly. I see so many people that regularly go to the gym, but are still over weight. So by eating well you maximise the benefits of exercise. Our Aspirebody lifestyle program has a very simple way of exercising that maximises your muscle tone, burns fat and increases your cardiovascular health.
Remember our bodies are designed to be hunters and gatherers. This means plenty of walking with short bursts of high intensity activity, bending, crouching and climbing.
We all know by now the benefits of regular exercise but do we really need to spend a fortune on gym memberships and expensive equipment? No. All you need is a pair of sandshoes and somewhere to walk. If you are lucky enough to live by the beach then sandshoes will not be required. We all live busy lifestyles which lead to stress, fatigue and sometimes weight gain but there really is no excuse for not allowing ourselves 20mins to walk around the block. If you have children, lead by example and encourage them to ride their bikes next to you. The key is to be active. Add as much movement into your day as possible:
Take the stairs instead of the elevator
Park a little further from work and walk
Ride a bike to the shops
Join in with your kids in the pool or at the beach
Limit your time sitting on a computer or on your phone
Grab a mate to motivate you both
Do a variety of activities that you enjoy and be consistent
Do you really want to see all the fun everyone else is having on Facebook or would you like it to be you? It really doesn’t matter what time of the day to exercise, just that you commit to it each and every day. In time you will find that you feel so good that come rain or shine nothing will stop you taking your walk. It’s recommended that you start with a 20 minute walk if you have not been exercising regularly and then gradually build your distance and time to suit. Some days you may have a bit more time spare so extend your walk to 30-40 minutes, other days you may not be so lucky but we all should be able to take 20 minutes out of our daily routine for our health. Once you are comfortable with walking 20-30 minutes regularly, then we can add a gentle resistance workout that you can do at home, which helps maintain muscle mass and burn fat. Plus introduce short bursts of light intensity workout which will maximize your cardiovascular health and fitness.
Before undergoing any form of exercise I recommend you get your spine and posture checked to prevent any potential injury problems.
For any further information regarding exercises please contact Dr. John Warnock at Helensvale Chiropractic Centre on 55737033